Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Bet

So last Monday at the gym I read that the government agency in charge of deciding how to be healthy came up with a new standard for health. You need to be able to run a mile in under 9 minutes. When Matt got home that night I told him about it. He said that would be so easy, he could run it right now in under 7 minutes. Now, back up a little and let me tell you about Matt's training regimen as of late..... well, he doesn't have one. He plays disc golf a lot! but that's about as close to exercise as he's gotten in months. So, I bet him that he couldn't. If he won then I had to plan our Valentine's Day date (it's his year) and if I won then I got one night to scrapbook and he'd take the kids all night.







The rules:

- the race would take place on Saturday (unless extreme conditions)

- he couldn't start training

- he could pick the time

- it had to be on a track

- I could give him splits for his laps

- I had to keep the kids out of his way while he was running

- He couldn't have anyone else run with him



Saturday morning he stretched for about an hour and we headed to the track. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but I took an after shot when we got home. He took to the track and ran a 6:55:31. I was AMAZED!!! So, when you start thinking about date ideas for Valentine's day- send 'em my way!

3 comments:

Lisa and Mark said...

Wow! Don't tell Matt, but both Mark and I thought for sure you would win the bet...we'll let you know if we come up with any date ideas!

Lori and Matt said...

me too... I was thinking it would take him close to 9:00. He impressed me A LOT!

Our Family said...

Haha! That is so funny! Umm..I would have died running a 9 minute mile! :)