Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Halloween 10 K, 10.30.10

A local theater company organized a 10K the Saturday before Halloween. My friend Stacie and I had been running since school started in the mornings before our families woke up. We decided we could try for this race. Stacie has never run a race and the farthest I've run in a race was a 5K.




We got an extra prize if we dressed up so Stacie found these skirts at Walmart for $5, and they didn't get in our way too much so that's what we wore. For running we also got a really nice wick away shirt and two set of free tickets to some of their upcoming performances.


In the excitement of the race I started off really fast (we had been training at a 9:30/mi- 10:00/mi pace). I kept telling myself to slow down and I thought I was, but when I checked my watch at the first mile marker it read 7:30!!! I couldn't believe I ran the first mile that fast! I really slowed down after that- afraid I wouldn't be able to finish! Around mile 3 1/2 I was running out of energy and needed to make it up a hill. The boys drove around the course and saw me three different times. I ran the batteries out in the camera the day before (leaf pictures!) and forgot to charge it. Matt has video of me running- but no one wants to see that!




Overall I never walked and ran a 9:17/mi resulting in a final time of 57:54. I really wanted to run it under an hour and I did! I got third in my age group and was really pleased with my first race.

5 comments:

Lisa and Mark said...

I'm so impressed! You look great too!

Julia Mar said...

You girls look so cute! Way to go!

mj said...

nice work! love the skirts. and your time is awesome. i've run tons of 10ks and my fastest EVER is 55 minutes. and i felt like i was going to die. most are over an hour...way to go!

Our Family said...

you go girl!!!!! That's awesome!

Stacie Aho said...

You did so awesome! There was no way I could have kept up with you! You rock. I'm going to miss having you as my running buddy...