Sunday, September 5, 2010

rewind: New York aug 9.10

We had to get back to New York because Matt had to work Monday and Tuesday. We also hurried home so we could catch dinner at the McKinnon's. She was my Laurel advisor in church growing up and Mere (her daughter) and I were the best of friends. It was great to catch up with them.

On Monday I woke up early and went for a run in Central Park. As big as the park is I figured if I was going to see any of it that would be the way to do it.

On my way there I stopped by the LDS Temple. It was so gorgeous!









The was by far my favorite part of the run- the arboretum.

After Central Park I took the subway down to the ferry port to ride over and see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. I should note that my camera is almost dead at this point. I turn it on and take a picture before the screen even lights up and then turn it off- sorry for the bad quality of pictures! AND I just ran- so I look nasty too!





A replica inside the little museum inside the base of the Statue of Liberty.


View of the city and Ellis Island from the Statue of Liberty.

Ellis Island was really cool to see and read about everything the immigrants had to go through there. Unfortunately my camera is long gone by then!
After these tours I went to the top of the Empire State Building, and again- my camera is dead by what an awesome view from up there!
I walked by the bull and a group of 30 Chinese people trying to climb on him at once. I saw Wall Street and then headed to the Museum of Modern Art. Definitely not for me... they had an umbrella stroller and a ironing board on display together as art. ???huh??? Also I walked into a naked picture gallery at the beginning so that kind of soured my mood for the rest of it.
I hurried back to the hotel to shower and meet Matt for dinner in Little Italy. We had some really good food and met a friend of mine from high school and now she's a friend of Matt's because they go to school together. All three of us tried to catch another show on Broadway but everything was either too expensive for crappy seats or they were completely sold out. We walked around Times Square again and went up to FAO Schwartz, but it was already closed.
Matt and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and then went back to Little Italy for some gelato- AMAZING! I probably should mention that it was my birthday, not a bad way to turn 25 huh?! We hurried back to the hotel to sleep so we could finish strong on our last day in NYC.

No comments: