Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Mom's Having a Baby


So we took a trip to the library yesterday. My main goal was to get this book for Taylor explaining that his mom was going to have a baby. I found this title online and it was in the kids section so I figured it would be a good one. I didn't even look at it at the library because... well I just didn't. We got home and were busy doing other things, so we didn't get to read until bed time. Matt was reading to him and I brought in his new book, "My Mom's Having a Baby." I started looking through it while they finished another book. The baby in the book was going to be due in May, just like ours so I thought that was cool. Then I flipped to this page...(click on the picture if you want to read it)

I showed it to Matt and then read the bottom line, "but how do the sperm and egg get together, I wonder? " The little girl asks her mom this question and of course the answer is on the next page, in graphic detail.



Well, we figured this was a little over Taylor's head. The rest of it is pretty good, but too technical for Taylor. Taylor knows there's a baby in mommy's tummy, he doesn't understand the word uterus yet, and I think I'm ok with that. The book is going back to the library soon. After Taylor went to bed Matt informed me that I would have to give the "sex talks" to all our children, he just can't do it. Maybe we'll just check out this book again!

7 comments:

Launi said...

wow. just...wow. there's another book like this called "mommy laid an egg" that our friends showed us. it's pretty hilarious, but i would never want my kids learning about it that way. :) we couldn't believe that this was out there for kids!

Emily said...

oh my gosh, I guess they have to learn sometime, but wow. That's crazy! I can't belive that's a childrens book just hanging out at the library for any kid to look at! EEEeeek :)

Lant Family said...

I laughed so hard at this. I hope they don't have these books at the elementary school libraries. I can just imagine a bunch of kids giggling in the corner of the library reading all about this. Atleast Taylor understands that you are having a baby. I ahve a good friend who is having her 2nd and her little boy tells people that he has a dinasour in his tummy.

Amelia said...

I guess some kids have to learn somewhere! I bet the children's book illustrator never imagined having to draw those pictures! :) Yeah, I bet Justin will make me do the talks too. Luckily I have a few years to think up that one!

Kevin and Laura said...

Oh my gosh Lori, I was laughing so hard when I read this. I cannot even believe that is in the children's library! But seriously, thanks for sharing--it was really funny!

Violet said...

Ok first I have to say that book is out of control. I was sitting in my kindergarten classroom cracking up about it. I am glad my kids had already gone home for the day. Second, how the heck did you find me. And third, I am so excited to hear from you and get an update on your family.

I haven't talked to Steph in a long time. I didn't know you were pregnat with your second and here you are ready to deliver. I am so happy for you!!!!!

I hope we can keep in touch a little better now!

Alicia said...

I have to agree with Launi...wow.